Many people feel the Yamaha YPT-220 is an excellent music keyboard for the beginner. Here’s a review on the YPT 220 that will offer both the pros and cons and insight on why it is so favored.
One thing you want to look for in buying music keyboard for a beginner is to get one that the student will not quickly outgrow. The other thing you want to do is get one that has lots to offer, without being too expensive. It is important the instrument be reasonably priced in the event the new student decides too soon they don’t like playing the keyboard.
The YPT-220 from Yamaha wins on both counts. If offers many extra features not often found in this lower price range. In addition, it has a sound quality that is surprisingly realistic. It is also light weight and portable so it can be taken and played just about anywhere.
Here you will find pros and cons that will help with a buying decision.
- It is a well designed learning instrument. With the built-in Yamaha Education Suite of learning tools and 102 pre-programmed songs, practicing piano and learning on this instrument is fun. The keys even light up when learning to play.
- It features 61 keys, more than enough for the beginner to play hundreds of songs and 375 high-quality instrument voices and 100 accompaniment styles.
- To simulate the actual sound of a grand piano there is a button that instantly creates this sound as they keys are played.
- It can be bundled in a package that includes a stand, closed cup headphones, and AC power supply.
- There is even a special effects feature that simulates sounds like that of a dog barking, a creaking door, running water and many more.
- Some users feel the music book that comes with this keyboard could be more comprehensive.
- Initially there were concerns about the stand not being very stable (that comes as part of the bundle package). But Yamaha says they have corrected this and it no longer appears to be an issue.
- A learning music student can be loud as they practice and make mistakes. That is actually the case not just with this instrument but all keyboards. So it is recommended to always buy with the headphones.
Many users of the Yamaha YPT-220 claim if you are looking for a fun, entertaining, durable, awesome, family-loving, piano-like keyboard, then this is the right choice.